14 October 2012

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...


Now that we're in the thick of fall with cooler temps and shorter days, we're learning to get creative again with indoor activities! Here are a few of our favorite things to do inside...

CRAFTS! This week we worked on a pumpkin patch for our wall. Molly's starting to learn shapes, so we picked out triangles, squares and circles for various pumpkin face bits.

BOOKS! We're regulars at the Chicago Public Library. Molly gets to pick out a few picture books and we usually pick up a preschool book packet that has a big book and fun kid's cd to go with the packet's theme. This week we had a pretty fantastic APPLE moment with our latest big book- Molly was reading about apples while munching on a bowl of apple bits when Raffi came on our Pandora station singing "I like to eat, eat, eat, apples and bananas" and to top it all off, Molly was wearing an apple shirt. Okay... this sounds a little nerdy, but you gotta find some joy wherever you can!

PUPPETS! I think these guys will have their own blog post coming up soon... I think that 3/4 of my conversations with Molly involve me speaking in low, gravely voices while wearing a policeman or fireman puppet on my hand.

TENTS! We're into building blanket and chair forts around the house.

DANCING! Molly has some really good moves. My favorite is her air guitar. She lets out this awesome "BEOW BEOW" while she does it too.

By the way, while this is a blog focused on Molly, its purpose is to chronicle the lives of her parents too, however unimportant they may be! Dave and I are doing well- Dave is close to half way through his first semester as a grad student and he's still smiling. He's wading through the world of professional journals and globalization papers and I really think it is pure joy to him to be working so hard at such weighty subjects. He's taking a hindi course too - On a recent test, he showed off his conversational skills with sentences like "The vegetable seller is tall". Yep- I'm sure that's going to come in handy someday. Life for me is still sweet. I love playing preschool teacher with Molly and getting my creativity juices flowing with our day to day crafts and reading. And I'm cleaning out the basement. That about sums up my existence... not really as ambitious sounding as Dave's but just as rich and full.
Pure apple bliss!

Molly's really good at gluing EVERYTHING. Fingers, chairs... sometimes paper!

Check out that froggy jacket mixed with the bunny boots. It's what all the cool kids are wearing this fall.

Ahhh splashing!

Molly and the lake!

It was house tour weekend in Pullman. The Boven clan paraded around the neighborhood checking out the wild and wacky tastes of our fellow Pullmanites!

Playing birthday party under the tent.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment